I did the following:
- celebrated my fourth year at the best day job I've ever had
- spent a week in Portland, Oregon and met with several non-profit big-wigs in an effort to start networking (I'm moving there next year)
- moved in with my girlfriend and her cats in an apartment a block away from my day job
- was diagnosed with anemia, and haven't really, truly touched my bicycle in months (fortunately I live within walking distance from pretty much everything I deal with on a daily basis)
- made my first-ever prototype submission to a board game publisher
- kept my twice-monthly game design workshops running, and started a board game happy hour at a local pub
- continued volunteering at an alpaca ranch two weekends a month throughout the entire year, and learned a TREMENDOUS amount of stuff
- assisted the Occupy movement in my city in various ways
- hosted maybe a dozen events at a local community center I've been involved with for the past 4 years
- kept on skinny dipping
- visited prisons about five times, and did outreach work for pretrial and convicted inmates
- ate a lot of fantastic food
That's pretty much the highlight reel of my year. I'm happy about plenty of it. The big ones are definitely the moving-in-with-my-girlfriend, the prison/re-entry work, and the game design workshops.
"An FPS where you ride horses with space people but you keep jumping forward in time."
I stewed in self loathing and malcontent, brooding in the darkest recesses of the human mind, plotting and enacting in the prison of my consciousness the most depraved and horrific acts of man, a reflection of the cruel realities of nature and the vitriolic poison that courses through my blackened, withered features.
Also, I learned how to cook a mean spicy pumpkin soup!
Did you really break up with your wife, Tom? Sorry to hear this, I thought you guys got on well
-Bummed around while becoming ridiculously addicted to Lego (Hagar and Hayo's fault)
-Got a job as a UI artist/3D props artist (really a 2d job) at Rare
-Stubbed big toe in shower before work, lost toe nail, incredible pain.
-Attended brother's wedding.
-Attended other brother's wedding a month later
-Job Contract ended.
-Went on Holiday.
-Working on my own projects whilst looking for work.
-Found out Im going to be an uncle again next year (best part)
Nothing. Remained unemployed and uneducated with no friends IRL or online, and definitely no g/f. Wasted every day in my bedroom and stayed at home every weekend. Only opened TGF2:NE to see a couple of examples posted here.
Discarded pizza boxes are an indispensable source of cheese.
- Broke up with my GF.
- Visited China and gave a talk about electrical engineering at a Chinese university, and at an international conference.
- Attended the Click Convention and met some clickers I have knew for a very long time . Incoherently presented our game Midget Machines (due to having about 2 hours of sleep!)
- Got some money (touch wood) to start up a company next year with some other soon to be Dr's (nothing game related).
- Turned down a very good job offer as a Principle Investigator (got offered it even though I have not even finished my PhD) to have a go at setting up said company... Maybe a stupid decision, but I fancy having a go at being my own boss.
- Built a reprap mendel just for the fun of it, and because I got bored... (Just about to start calibrating it).
- Built copious amounts of Lego (synchrodrive robots, clock mechanisms etc).
- About to build another Valve Amplifier, hopefully I can get it finished by the end of the year.