Submitted:|| 3rd October, 2006
Edited By morty on 10/3/2006
Tankwars is a remake of classic Battle City - a game from NES platform - created with Mark Overmars' Game Maker.
The rules and gameplay are similar, however, some things are different. These are - for example - upgrade system, way how bullets behave, some new obstacles, health bars, new design etc.
Those, who played BC will quickly start to know what-to-do-and-where, for those who didn't:
* players control two tanks (default blue and green, this can be changed in options menu)
* there are 4 modes avaiable. SOLO GAME is for one player - this is a classic mode from BC. COOPERATION is for two players cooperating, this mode is also classical one. DEATHMATCH and HOLD THE FLAG are for two players competing with each other.
* control keys are listed in OPTIONS menu, and you can there also redefine them
* there are 100 standard levels
* each standard level must be completed before proceeding to the next and being able to start a new game from there. It means, that at the beginning there is only Level 001 available, if you complete it you will be able to start from Level 001 or from Level 002 in future etc etc.
* there are some bonuses and upgrades available. Some of enemies are blinking. Just after hitting them, an icon of bonus will apear somewhere. Collect it to get the benefit from bonus (you will see short description of bonus below your tank).
* upgrades have small white star in the right edge. They upgrade your tank (speed it up, decrease reload time etc.). Once collected they will be active as long as you are alive - after losing a life all upgrades are deactivated.
* There are some kinds of obstacles - brick, stone, water, tree, swamp. Bullets destroy only bricks, but if you have an appropriate upgrade you can also destroy stones. Bombs destroy bricks and stones. Water cannot be destroyed, but it doesn't stop the bullets. Tree also cannot be destroyed, it just cover the area of playing, making observation harder. Swamp reduces speed of moving. The other two things are gates and switches. Hit the switch to open or close the gate.
Following rules apply to single and cooperation mode:
* the bulb is your base - keep an eye on it and don't let enemies (gray tanks) destroy it
* your aim is to kill all the gray tanks. If you do it, you will proceed to next level
Following rules apply to deathmatch mode:
* your aim is to get frags for killing opponent. There are some setting available (frag limit, time limit, enemies), you can set them by clicking settings tab
Following rules apply to hold the flag mode:
* your aim is to collect points for holding a flag. Each second you have the flag gives points. To collect flag just run it over. To get a flag from opponent you first must kill him. There are some setting available (flag time limit, time limit, enemies), you can set them by clicking settings tab.
Fully functional level editor is also avaiable - save your custom levels in /levs directory to be able to play them in normal mode (saved levels are avaialble under EXTERNAL tab)
Have much fun!
BTW: More download mirrors have been listed on that page: http://morty.boo.pl/tankwars/en,download
Review This Download
http://gmclan.org/up1131_3_Tankwars.html (5 mkb )
Is this worth a look? Let others know! Favourite